I make this power smoothie every day, unless I’m traveling. It’s hydrating, healing, liquid energy with an incredible 17 ingredients. There’s nothing like an elixir of natural sugar and carbs to jump-start my brain in the morning. It’s plant-based and could easily be made vegan.
Throwing everything into a smoothie allows me to eat things that I wouldn’t normally otherwise, because the sweetness covers up the sharper tastes of greens and roots. It’s also an easy way to make sure I get at least one serving of fruits and vegetables each day.
The dark green color is an intriguing mystery, but it certainly looks healthy. At work, people often ask me, “what’s in it?”
Here are the ingredients, in order that I put them in the blender.
- 12 oz organic coconut water
- ½ t. Reishi powder
- ½ t. Chaga powder
- 1 t. Spirulina powder
- 1 t. Barley grass juice powder
- 1 t. raw honey (substitute for pure maple syrup if vegan)
- 1 large handful of fresh greens (usually spinach or kale)
- 5 stems of fresh parsley
- 5 stems of fresh cilantro
- 1 stem fresh oregano
- 1 stem fresh thyme
- 1 stem fresh rosemary
- 1 stem fresh sage
- 2 ½ cups mixed frozen fruit (1 ½ cups mixed fruit like pineapple/mango/banana/strawberry/peaches, ½ cup wild blueberries, ½ cup raspberries, blackberries, or cranberries).
- 1 clove raw garlic
- 1 inch of fresh ginger
- 1 inch of fresh turmeric
This smoothie is light but filling. It makes a whopping 32 oz and drinking 32 oz of anything is going to fill you up. So, thanks, Grandma, for buying me my first serious blender. It’s changed how I start my day for the past 3 years!